Materials from 6 months old snakes of the species shooter snake (Coluber caspius), died with neurologicalsymptoms and uncharacteristic eating of peat litter, were tested. At the microscopic examination of samplesof liver and peat litter were found bacteria with morphology, typical of Clostridium botulinum, then this specieswas isolated from studied materials. The ?linical, pathological and microbiological results show that the mostlikely cause of these symptoms and mortality was botulinum intoxication. To prevent the disease, the peat andother bedding for reptiles should not be kept in wet and anaerobic conditions.
Real Time Impact Factor:
Author Name: Teodora Popova, Vasil Manov
URL: View PDF
Keywords: reptiles, peat, Clostridium botulinum